I believe the most important aspect to security is programming. If it
weren't for software, most security problems would not exist! To really
understand security issues one needs to understand how software and
hardware are related, the architecture of the computer itself. Then
learn how computers communicate and networking fundmentals, namely
protocols such as TCP, UDP and how they relate to IP.

At this point you can begin to learn about the various types of attacks,
how they work and, most importantly, how to prevent them.

Everything else is just composed of these essential elements. I warn
you: there is a lot of material to be covered in what I just described.

My opinion on programming languages: first learn C and C++. Then
practice with a different language such as perl or perhaps (gasp) VB,
just so you understand what a language is. Then learn assembly. The
assembly language concepts are not the same as those in C/C++: you are
working at a lower, closer to the hardware.

Security takes committment; you must love to do this.

That's my $.02.

Good Luck.

'ken'