Bill Walls wrote:

> Hello all.  Being the most dynamic and honest bunch around, I thought I
> would ask the list a simple question.
>
> I have been on the NSA's mailing list for Secure Linux, and I have to say
> above all, its slow list and heavily moderated :).  I have never installed
> it yet, as I haven't found an extra box yet to implement it on...
>
> But this all boils down to some questions:  How "Secure" do you think it is?
>   How usable do you think it is?  Is it something I should research more
> into (As a coder, I'm interested about the process management and such...)
> What are your feelings on the NSA Linux?

Bill,

What are you waiting for-- it's linux, it'll install on an old box you
can find in a local bazar
for a few dinars.

The NSA has the reputation of being one of the biggest employers of
mathematicians in the world.
In addition, it is reputed to be the host of some of the best
computational facilities in the world.
It is a very serious outfit.
My only regret is that the amazing work that must be done there is not
publically available for the
scientific community at large. (Fortunately we have the technion ...).
Thus, it is a momentous event that
the nsa invests time in an  project like the selinux kernel. It is a
sign that they have got the message
with respect to open source security projects.
The security model inherent in the project is not new, but is
influential and worth study.
Personally I think it is a great chance to get involved with state of
the art security issues
(os security), and that if you are a programmer you definitely should
get involved.

Just my 0.2

Christopher