A caveat, I am not intimately familiar with Win 2K, only passingly. That
having been said, here is a long winded possibility:

It may have to do with the actual login privileges on the NT4 domain.
Remember (at least with nt4) you have a local login with privileges, and
a remote login with privileges. The remote login will by default receive
the least amount of privileges. You may want to look at your user
account and see if he/she belongs to more than one group (Domain and/or
Local). An easy way to remember NT4 access rights is least-least-most.
Least being the least restrictive, Most being the Most restrictive. NT4
will apply the most restrictive rights it can, so if you have a user Joe
Blow, that is an admin and part of the local admin group(least
restrictive), but he is also part of the Domain Users (more
restrictive), he will only have the rights available to the Domain User,
not the local admin account.

A simpler explanation could be that they are only members of the local
admin group on the NT4 box and not the Domain Admins, or your 2K domain
is not properly talking to the NT4 domain.

Remember too, that Win 2K has AD services and these are not backwards
compatible with 4.0, so it could be a setup that is incompatible.

Just my $0.02, Anyone feel free to correct anything I have stated here
and PLEASE don't flame me if I am off the mark here...I am rusty at
this...:)