Bourque Daniel wrote:

> Normally, you want your FW to be as invisible as possible (black hole) so
> you just drop all incoming packet that are not specifically allowed in by a
> rule.  What you can't see can only be attack by guessing.  Rejecting give
> back information to the bad guy...

hmmm....
i think it is a black hole only if it does not respond on any port. that is,
every port is drop (deny).  of couse, in that case, nothing gets through
the network.  if you drop packets on most ports, but allow some in on
others, you are telling the "bad guys" that you are using a firewall
and that you drop packets instead of reject them.

if you reject packets, then you might just be a host that does not have
that service running.  in either case, i don't think it is going to make
much of a difference to most "bad guys", since they will just try and
hack you on the ports that are open in any case.

> In the case of a smtp mail server, it's better to reject incoming IDENT
> request otherwise, you will have timeout problem with the smtp delivery of
> your mail going out to some servers..

this is true!

--
___cliff [EMAIL PROTECTED]http://www.genwax.com/