I would recommend stating in your adds, or to them on the phone, that they
need to provide their certification number(s) along with their resume.  Most
companies offer ways to verify certifications.  Even if you don't take the
time to call each company about their cert, I am sure that asking for the
number would greatly reduce that problem.  Cisco Partners have access to
this information online, but I am sure if you call your regional Cisco
Office, they can tell you how to go about it for non-partners.  Microsoft
must also have some kind of verification process.  (if not, please let me
know!!!! (kidding!))  :-)

Also from a person who is currently looking for a job...it would really help
if HR and recruiters knew their certifications.  It's not hard to go to the
Cisco site and find out that a person has to get their CCNA before their
CCNP...and their CCDA before their CCDP...and that the CCIE is in two parts,
a written and a killer hands on lab.

Many who have passed their CCIE written will tout that because they are
(used to be) readily snatched up by Cisco Partners [Partners can not count a
full CCIE taken from another Partner competitor toward their Partner points,
but if the person has their written and passes the Lab after being hired,
the person counts toward their required points].  I have had recruiters and
HR people tell me that I didn't qualify because I didn't have my CCNA...I
had much trouble trying to explain.  So I finally gave up and I just put
everything...as you will see below.  Oh, and I can give you my CSCO number
is you would like!  ;-)

Douglas Gullett, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP
Savage, MD, USA