I think experience can be somewhat elusive too.  If you have a person who
has worked for one and a half years on Cisco equipment in a high pressure
situation where they have gotten to work on lots of various equipment with
lots of troubleshooting, and you have a person who has three years of
"experience" who has done a lot of web surfing in-front of a rack of Cisco
Equipment, but who also managed to get their CCNP with book study.  Why
should they be hired over the person with 1.5 years experience?  I think the
only true measure is to sit the candidates down and see what they can
"actually" do.  Then you also need to find a way to test their ability to
grasp a new task, as well as being able to do research.  But who has that
kind of time...I guess.  :-(

Douglas Gullett, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP (1.5 years experience)  :-)
Savage, MD, USA