yes, spammers harvest email addresses from securityfocus lists.  i have
sent
emails to various SF lists using new (never before used or publicized)
email
addresses associated with new domains, and have started receiving spam at
those addresses within 48 hours.  Since many SF lists are mirrored at quite
a few other web sites though, and since all of the lists have open
subscriptions, you shouldn't waste your time trying to determine how the
spammers harvest those addresses.  Better solution is to create disposable
email accounts for each SF list and use those exclusively for the SF lists.
and filter all incoming email.

btw, you're lucky if you only get "sporadic spam".  i filter over 100
spam-mails/day from some of my more heavily utilized email addresses that
were established back in the 90's.

Regards,
ken

Ken Williams ; Technical Lead ; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
eSecurityOnline - an eSecurity Venture of Ernst & Young
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ; www.esecurityonline.com ; 1-877-eSecurity

                    Craig Van
                    Tassle                 To:     security-basics
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    <craig@ambrosa.        cc:     (bcc: Ken
Williams/AABS/EYLLP/US)
                    dns04.com>             Subject:     spam

                    02/05/2002
                    12:57 AM

I was wondering if any one knows if people (spammers) watch the security
focus mailing lists to get peoples email addys?  over the last couple of
months i have been getting sporaticaly spam emails..
and i also noticed some funy things from my mail logs..

Feb  3 23:16:53 postfix/smtpd[33997]: lost connection after DATA from
unknown[209.149.145.250]
Feb  3 23:16:53 postfix/smtpd[33997]: disconnect from
unknown[209.149.145.250]
Feb  3 23:16:53 postfix/cleanup[33998]: 846CD3F1A: message-id
=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

does that mean that someone have been trying to get in though my email
server or if they are just useing me as remailer?

thanks

The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it
from your computer.  Thank you.  Ernst & Young LLP