actually. i am running a email server.. just not the "normal" email server.
I run postfix.. and you are right about the scanning.. i would have thought that
my school's "security" team would stop that on there subnets.. but then they do not
really care about the student computers.  and my logs do show a connection.. just that
they lost connection after the DATA command was issued.. and my logs show noting being
sent out.. my guess is someone trolling with a "sploiter" or like you said a spammer
trying
to get a new relay.

thanks for you 0.02
Craig