On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Jay D. Dyson wrote:

>       For example:    Question: Is there a Howto or a FAQ on NFS?
>                       Answer  : Go to Google and enter "howto+faq+nfs".

Well, *S*, that would be simplifying things a bit too much. I do
remember this happened when someone asked for Basic Books on Encryption.
Oh, yes I agree with you Jay that even for this question google will
give you the answers. But if someone is asking this question he probably
doesnt know that "Applied Encryption by Bruce Schneier" is better that
"Dhar Explains Encryption". And google does thrown 1000s of such
results. What such a user might be asking is, "According to the
collective wisdom here, what would be a good book on Encryption for a
beginner, from among the thousands available in the market". I doubt
google would help in that case. What do you think??

>       The bottom line is this: I don't mind helping people out.  I got
> to where I am because others pointed me in the right direction when I

There are times when I too feel the same way. If something is very
basic, which *should* be known by everyone... I stop and think for a lil
time. There was a time, when I too didnt know it. This is all so
relative. So instead of telling him search on google, which wastes my
time, his time, prolly the time of the moderator, I dont say anything
at all. :))

> least first make your own effort to find what you needed before asking
> someone else to give you the answers.

I gotta agree with you that what you try out on your own is probably the
best thing for you.But it might now always work. So why not lend the
bugger a helping hand if we can. The important word being "if"...

I know lot will agree, and a number of you will disagree with me. But
the point I guess, is to be a *wee bit* more tolerant... like an
indulgent teacher teaching a bunch of lil children.... :))

Regards
Dhar

--
Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface.

pub  1024D/7AB2D05A 2002-02-24 Sumit Dhar (Sumit Dhar, SLMSoft.com) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     Key fingerprint = 4A18 D20D 3D15 6C5B CD2F  8E45 B903 0C29 7AB2 D05A