Aha....some great reading here:

http://www.sans.org/newlook/resources/IDFAQ/vlan.htm
http://rr.sans.org/switchednet/switch_security.php
http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/26008
http://security-archive.merton.ox.ac.uk/bugtraq-199909/0223.html
http://lists.synfin.net/Archives/firewall-wizards/1998/Nov/msg00039.html
(thread)

There does seem to be potential for "failing open" the switch in some
cases, and possibly even messing with the 802.1q/ISL trunks/tags to jump
VLANs.  Anyone who manages to compromise the particular DMZ I'm working
with will likely be sophisticated enough to at least *try* to mess with the
VLAN security which means that our segmentation will only be as good as the
IOS.

This quote (paraphrased) pretty much told me what I wanted verification on:
"VLANs are designed for traffic and bandwidth management, not security".

Bottom line--I don't want to rely on the switch IOS for security.  For $850
an additional switch is worth it.

Thanks for all the responses!

-Mike