Hi,

If you need a good and secure ftp server, try proftpd (www.proftpd.net). If
you need a HTTP server, I recommend you apache (www.apache.org). And yes, I
think OpenBSD/FreeBSD are both a good choice as OS (if you can do that, use
a machine as HTTP server and use another machine as FTP server). Also, apply
a security checklist at OS level.

In fact, if you can use SCP or SFTP as your ftp client and SSH as your
server, you can also to avoid eavesdropping.

Best Regards,

CVC