Earlier phones, pre-1995 or so, were analog, and it was a trivial task
to modify a Radio Shack scanner and listen in. 90% of phones now use
digital transmission (in my area at least), so tapping and listening is
a MUCH more difficult process. Phone cloning is also almost non-existant
with digital service.