Depending on the context of the lecture, I would question any security
conference that labels VNC as a "hacking tool".  It is a remote access
tool.  Sure being free and, even more so, very lightweight lends itself
to nefarious use (as opposed to, say, pcAnywhere).  But it is certainly
no less valid than pcAnywhere or any other remote access tool.  Though I
couldn't be too harsh.  Adam Cohen of TIME called VNC "spyware":

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101010702/

Alright.  So VNC has a valid reason for being on your network.  Is it
secure?  Kinda.  Not really.

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/faq.html#q55

VNC does a pretty good job at protecting its password.  So it won't be
trivial to capture it "on the wire" like telnet or ftp.  But you're
going to want a strong password - there is a patch that can turn a VNC
client in to a brute-force VNC cracker:

http://www.securiteam.com/tools/Brute_forcing_VNC_passwords.html

But... the rest of VNC traffic is unencrypted.  So your session is prone
to snooping (although the traffic has to be uncompressed first).  You'll
note several methods to protect this traffic in the above-mentioned FAQ
link.  My often-used favorite is a SSH tunnel.  SSH will provide better
authentication, encryption of the traffic, and even some compression if
you need.

Finally, if you need a bit more efficient VNC, TightVNC is an excellent
off-shoot of the origional VNC project:

http://www.tightvnc.org/

I tend to prefer TightVNC as I am never quite sure what kind of network
link my laptop will be hanging off of when I need it (which only
re-enforces the use of a SSH gateway / tunnel).

--

.: Paul Hosking . [EMAIL PROTECTED]
.: InfoSec

.: PGP KeyID: 0x42F93AE9
.: 7B86 4F79 E496 2775 7945  FA81 8D94 196D 42F9 3AE9