        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent: Thu 4/18/2002 2:18 PM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: RE: Vendor Remote Access

        You are between a rock and a hard place with this one.  In this case, the
        dial-up access required for your support will break the security model you
        have in place with a VPN because it bypasses it completely.  I have seen
        other systems where the customer (you) keeps a generic system on the side,
        with all the vendor apps. loaded on it, with a connection only to the
        outside via phoneline, so the vendor support is happy, and then resolves
        most of their problems themselves.  This requires a religious understanding
        of the software, however, and may not solve your issues, as the problem may
        not be replicatable on the removed system, so they won't be able to solve
        it.  You are in a unique system because of all the security concerns around
        personal records, criminal records (not sure where in the county system you
        work), etc....
        My personal recommendation is that you provide the vendors access to ONLY
        their apps, via ACL's and system permissions in your O/S.

        Jeff Neithercutt  CNA, GSEC
        Wells Fargo Bank
        Corporate Information Protection
        155 5th Street  MAC 0186-030