I used to use PGP (the free version) which ties in nicely to any
application.  It sits in the task bar and you can do things like
"encrypt current window", or "encrypt clipboard", so pretty much any
application is compatible with it.  Recently, I started using OpenPGP
as it is based on the Gnu concept, meaning that it's open-source.

My email client is The Bat! and it integrates seemlessly with the
application, making it very easy to use.

Flinch