That's probably true, I'm only familiar with the usage in Win2k...and even
then very little.  All of our installs use DNS, except for very very special
instances.

I still have to stand firm on thinking that it's a bad idea though...  I
don't know how many machines you admin, but I really really really would hate
having to mess with hosts files on all the machines.  I had heard of
something at one point that MS created/beta/demo'd a "distributed" hosts file
or something of the like where you could keep a single copy on a server and
they would all reference that??  I don't really recall... I just know I don't
think it's a very good solution to a problem.  I see too many work arounds,
too much admin time, and still not simplistic enough to make it practical.

"The only problem with this method is that it can be tricky to set up in
conjunction with a proxy server."  --- Why would you do both ?

IMHO Content filtering should still be done at a proxy and not with an
archaic file whose life ended with that of the original ARPANet.

Chisholm Wildermuth
Systems Engineer
dbWebNet, Inc.

The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those
of my employer.