From: Cheryl Goh [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 5:37 PM
To: Sumit Dhar
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Network Security Related Query

Hi Sumit,

This would depend on what you have read/write access to. For example if
let's say I had read/write access to a non-system folder in the c drive, the
best that I could hope to do is perhaps upload a trojan or some remote
control app,  renaming it to something less obvious. I will not be able to
execute anything.

If somehow I have access to the win.ini or autoexec.bat files I could load
in an entry to automatically execute my prog when the pc is rebooted.

The fact that a remote user across the internet has access to another
company's windows shares means that ports 135-139 are not filtered at the
firewall or border router.

If this is the case there are a lot of things that can be done to fully
compromise the system. This would depend on the state of the windows machine
as in whether it has been securely configured.

Since the ports 135-139 are not blocked, it is highly unlikely that the
windows box is secure due to the fact that if the admin can actually let
these ports through then he/she obviously is not very aware of the
implications.

All in all to answer your question,  system compromise is possible depending
on the circumstances. e.g what folders are shared, how the windows boxes are
configured, whether they are PDC's or user desktops. There isn't quite a
simple yes or no but a very likely chance of system compromise.

Cheryl Goh