> Sometimes it is hard to evaluate the real value of
> information/assets processed in a company.
> How to quantify the risks and in the end how
> can be the identified risks met? The goal is
> to provide BS7799 compliance of the security
> policy but again - the most feasible.

There are a number of companies developing BS7799
compliance methodologies (including my company).
I doubt you will find useful info in the open to
that regard, but i will gladly be happy if I am
proven wrong by someone in the list.

> Most likely companies should not invest more money
> into their information security than the value
> of the possible loss is (in case of an incident)?

You're right. The trend nowadays is to "break even"
between the decreasing curve of loss as you increase
security and the increasing curve of cost of
security as you increase security. The probability
of an accident cannot be leveled off to zero, so
there is no point in spending more than the loss
you will face should an accident happen at the
chosen level of residual risk.

Again, putting real dollars (or euros ...) in those
curves is more a matter of art then science and
I doubt there are any public useful info out there.

Please list, prove me wrong :-)

--
Alessandro Bottonelli
Owner of www.axis-net.it (italian only)