The risk is technically there...however, the amount of time that the PC is open,
it is functionally impossible for someone to do anything to you.

Zone Alarm loads almost immediately after the IP stack goes active.  The
TrueVector service that ZA uses is the guts of the firewall to my understanding
and that starts as a service well before the login screen and desktop appear.

The anti-virus software really doesn't protect you until you start downloading
email or surfing the web.  So no worry there.

If you are still worried about this, I'd suggest you get a broadband router for
your cable/dsl connection.  I've had good luck with Linksys.  Netgear also makes
a very nice unit.  The broadband router will sit between your PC and your ISP
and has a firewall built into it.  Leave Zone Alarm and your AV software
running.  Its like using contraceptives.  You can never have enough. :)

Hope that helps

Craig

"Enquiries" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 07/11/2002 04:21:27 PM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]