From: Jeremy Anderson
To: Enquiries
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 7/11/02 6:04 PM
Subject: Re: security question

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Enquiries wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I have been wondering for quite some time since I got broadband a few
weeks
> ago whether the followign is a security risk: the time between opening
up
> the pc and the anti-virus and firewall to boot up takes about 2
minutes in
> total... Is there a small security risk within those two minutes as
the pc
> is virtually open to the internet?  I have noticed that as soon as my
> firewall is finally finished booting up it does give out "denied
access"? Or
> is there something there that actually protects the pc until the
firewall
> and anti-virus load?  If not what can one do to protect one's pc?
>
> windows 98SE - mcafee anti-virus - zonealarm firewall

A disclaimer:  I'm sorry if this message sounds a little patronizing.
Having worked in computers for 15 years now, including 8 years as a
professional sysadmin, my experience has been that clever uberhackers
who
can pry a PC wide open in the 30 second window between the network being
started and the firewall coming up completely are EXTREMELY rare.  Users
who do things which are harmful to their own systems, either due to
carelessness or neglect, are as common as dandelions in the springtime.

I may get flamed for this, but I think in _most_ cases, personal
firewalls
are redundant.

My rationale is as follows:

1) A stock out-of-the box Windows 98 machine has one vulnerability to
the
   outside world.  That is the SMB file-sharing mechanism.  If you
didn't
   share any of your directories to the Internet (you didn't set up any
   of your directories to be shared, did you?), there's not much of a
   hole here.  There are some other potential problems, but most of
those
   can be resolved by keeping your system patches up to date (have you
visited
   http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ lately?).

2) Many ISPs who provide broadband set up some level of firewalling at
   their routers, both to save themselves from users who do
   clue-challenged activities (see #1) as well as users who set up their
   home machines as porn download sites, etc.

Now, this having been said, personal firewalls aren't completely
useless.
If you are downloading random games, etc. off the 'net, a personal
firewall, in conjunction with a good piece of antivirus software, will
do
a lot to protect you from your own carelessless.

Another thing to look at is what exactly your firewall is denying.  For
instance, if you are seeing deny messages to port 80, it means that
something is looking for a web server which is not on your box.  Usually
these are worms and robots, not human beings.  I logged 250 accesses
like
this to my box a few days back.  Port 53 accesses are people looking for
BIND (also not on your box), 21 are searches for an FTP server you don't
have, and so on.

In summary, there are lots of things to worry about, but this short
window
between boot time and the firewall coming up is probably very low on
that
list.

Happy trails!

Jeremy