Cool. Thanks for the quick reply.

And now to throw a little flame bait to all the cyber security fishes. Are,
or can, proxy based firewalls be less secure because they are running a
proxy service?

Which brings me to a question I've been wanting to ask for a long time.

If you read firewall books, docs, lists, etc, people often say that you
shouldn't run anything on your firewall box. No services, etc. So if I have
one machine running iptables and I want to run squid or an NIDS or HIDS I
should have a second machine for each "service". If I just have a home
machine is it o.k. to run that stuff on it?

My scenario is just a home machine with a dialup connection. I'd like to run
iptables, maybe squid for setup experience, nmap and maybe snort and
tripwire. Not sure if snort is just NIDS or HIDS as well. If it does HIDS
and NIDS then I would run it alone.

Thanks.

Steve