From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 4:35 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PCanywhere: security of it and operation over DSL/cable modems

We have a workstation at the office that needs to allow a user remote
access for running software on the workstation.  I don't think a VPN will
work because the user MUST run the software on this machine, as if he was
seated at it.  I'm looking at gotomypc.com and pcanywhere.  I don't feel
comfortable using gotomypc.com as this is proprietary company information
and I don't trust someone else having the access information for the
workstation that has the info on it.

My questions are as follows:
1.  Has anyone got experience with the security of PCanywhere running over
a DSL/cable modem connection? What should I watch out for?  From what I
understand, I can use HTTPS as one of the options for the
connection.  Anyone know the encryption level?  Are all parts of the
transactions secured with encryption?
2.  How does the software work if it's over a broadband connection?  My
internal IPs aren't valid for routing.  How does the software know a
connection is being initiated?
3.  Any better solutions come to mind?  I'd rather have a PITA setup that's
secure than a simple one that's not.
4.  What security measures should I implement on the users PC to make sure
that it's secure as well?  I won't have physical access to it but for the
initial setup.

I'll be interested in seeing if this gets posted at all due to the recent
acquisition of securityfocus by Symantec.  Can't bite the hand that feeds
you, I guess.

Many thanks for any help.  Long time reader (well, several months at
least), first time poster.

information that is intended only for use by the named recipient.
If you are not the named recipient, any disclosure, dissemination,
or action based on the contents of this message is prohibited.
In such case please notify us and destroy and delete all copies
of this transmission.  Thank you.