You'll have to have some way for IP to get to the machine in question, so
you'll need some sort of VPN.  If only one user is using it, and you've got
any NT servers in the building, Microsoft's RAS Server/PPTP might be plenty.
But, you will need a secure tunnel to get them access to your LAN.

Or, that machine will need a public IP address and to be live on the 'net.
My suggestion would be a VPN.  You could have them dial direct in to a modem
if you didn't mind it being slow.  Seems a waste when they have broadband.

Then, you'll need remote access software.

My experience with PCAnywhere is slightly dated and then extremely outdated,
so they may have addressed some of these issues but whenever we used
PCAnywhere, it made the whole machine unstable, probably because of some of
the disturbing things they had to do to make the software work.  In a couple
of cases, it made the machine unusable, and we had to reinstall the OS.
Again, they may have addressed this.

We are using a product called DameWare here, which includes a very nice
remote control suite, and some other nice management tools.  I don't know
how much it costs, but I expect it's not cheap.  Enterprise software rarely
is.

One free option you might consider is using VNC.  VNC is not secure, so
you'd have to tunnel it over SSH.  It would then be encrypted on the wire,
and should be pretty secure.  I've got a free ssh server running here, and
VNC is free, and there are at least a couple of free SSH clients, so this is
a solution you could cobble together out of random bits of software on the
'net.  The free SSH server is sshd from cygwin.  cygwin has an ssh client,
and PuTTY is free and tunnels sockets very nicely.  VNC itself is free, and
has clients for pretty much every platform.

Hope that helps, and good luck.  Having remote access to a machine can be a
very powerful, and useful tool.

Lou Erickson
IT Tools Developer
Ariba, Inc.