we had a phenomen similiar to this (although i'm not sure, whether this is
the same cause)

when accessing an server, all computer got an answer execpt for one.

the reason behind this was the following:

the server we accessed was a bigIP which divided the workload on different
apache webservers behind.
once you connect to the bigIP it saves your IP or hostname, and would
ALLWAYS redirect you to the
same webserver behind. (this is done to ensure your open session is allways
on the same computer)

the bigIP would realize, when the apache webserver is down, but NOT if the
tomcat behind the apache
webserver is down. however, without the tomcat working for the apache you
would never get an answer.

(in our case the one computer not working was directed on the apache without
tomcat)

IF you've something similiar to what we had here, there's no chance you can
solve it on client
side. that would have to be done on server side. (except you could try to
get a different hostname/IP)

well, just an idea...
~Heiko