>>Security Newsletters-TM wrote:
> I thought that using a dictionary is still considered brute force.

Call the set of all possible passwords the 'keyspace'.
Brute force is checking the entire keyspace. Dictionaries
represent 'human-friendly strings', say words easy to memorize.
This is a fraction of the total keyspace.

> Where's the distinction, after the first 5000 attempts I think it's safe to
> say you're not attempting educated guesses.

Suppose we just limit ourselves to the 26 lowercase + 26 uppercase
+10 digits in our passwords. This gives 62 possibilities.
If we restrict ourselves to passwords of length 8 created from this
limited set of 62 characters, just as an example, this gives
62**8 (62-to-the-8th-power) possible passwords, i.e. the keyspace
is of size 62**8, which is this number :

218340105584896

Of which 5000 would be an insignificant sample

Chris