From: netsec novice [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 6:13 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: password cracking

I recently began using Lopht to do password cracking on our own network in
order to enforce our password standards.  In watching the process, I now
have questions regarding how the cracking works.  I understand basic
dictionary and even brute force methods.  What I'm confused about is how
Lopht can determine individual characters without cracking the entire
password.
IE.  ?????9pass
I should mention that this is auditing an NT system. My best analogy is a
wall safe vs. a key? I would think that the only way the password could be
cracked would be to input the entire string(key) and see if it opened the
door.  It appears though that it is treating the password as individual
characters and cracking one at a time like a combination lock.  Can someone
help me clear my fog on this issue?

Thanks in advance...