Here you can find an extensive set of tools, organised in
categories.. Most of them are free:

http://www.e-secure-db.us/dscgi/ds.py/View/Collection-942

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Connolly [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, 26 September 2002 6:13 p.m.
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Good freeware security utilities?

Hey everyone – This is my first post to a bugtraq list, so please be gentle!
:)

Anyhow -- I'm currently working for a University Residential helpdesk and
generally have to deal with a lot of supposed compromises and viruses. Are
there any good tools for troubleshooting that anyone relies on?  I'm talking
freeware / open source utilities - I'm not in charge of the software
distribution, and it wouldn't be feasible for my to put in requests.

We deal mainly with Windows 98/ME/2000 and XP systems, so it limits a lot of
utilities I've seen out there. So far what I've been using to check a lot of
systems are mainly just sifting through the configuration files. Is there
any other useful programs out there that can make some checks quicker/more
certain?

I've been using a program called APorts to see what executable is talking on
what port.  Also, we have a site license for Norton Antivirus Corp Edition,
so it makes detecting a lot of programs pretty easy. However -- I'd like to
be able to check out what happened to systems before installing Norton, or
in the case of a backdoor, be able to track it down fairly well on the
system.

So what would YOU use in your toolkit? :-)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Sean