From: Tim Donahue [mailto:TDonahue@;haynesconstruction.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 1:15 PM
To: 'Chris Chandler'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 'Dave Adams';
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Interesting One

You are using software to try and recover information.  If you can
recover
files after filling the platter with zeros 4 or 5 times and recover it
without a direct attack on the platters (ie,using a SEM), then why is it
so
hard to believe that specialized HARDWARE can recover it after 30 times?

At this point, I think it has been determined that the best way (and
possibly the only way in the near future) to prevent the recovery of
information is the complete and total destruction of the drive.

Here is a good question for you though, at what point is it worth just
destroying the drive?  My guess would be we are at that point now,
because
we have to use so many resources to be reasonably sure that the data is
unrecoverable, that is is cost effective to just destroy the drive and
purchase a replacement for it.

Tim Donahue