1.  If you're an admin, you should be able to ping one of
the hosts being sniffed and then inspect the arp caches
(local and/or switch) to detect the poisoning.  No need to
sniff to do it.

2.  As an admin, you can use port mirroring to sniff,
without resorting to cache poisoning.  But if the offender
poisons the cache with the broadcast MAC address, sniffing
the poison packets coming from a specific port is the only
way to catch him.  Although that *would* be pretty obvious
that there was something going on....

David Gillett