I would love to try this again without causing my point to get lost
somewhere else :-)

Where I currently work, we originally started out by trying to determine
the worst programs to run and reasons for denying them. This quickly
became an exercise in frustration and anger management for both IT and
the employees we are there to help.

So, we reversed the approach and determined what we did want to allow
and why. We used the criteria of departmental need, job function,
requirements for customer interaction and ability to properly support
(what skill sets in IT or other departments that could be leveraged).
Then we banned everything else and waited for the requests to come in.
This made everyone feel like we were trying to help them instead of
block them, so most employees became allies to the effort. We run a wide
range of platforms and applications by nature of our business, so it
took a little time.

When requests came in, we looked at each one to see if there was a
legitimate reason to use it and went from there (can we support it well
with our limited resources, is it safe enough, is there an alternative,
etc.). The only exception was in the browser area. We allowed a little
more latitude there. Except Netscape, which is not Netscape anymore, it
is AOL, and we don't allow anything AOL related. The more technically
adept and trustworthy employees could run Mozilla, Opera, etc. Everyone
else IE. We set up Software Update Service internally to handle the
patching and management of IE. The others require a lot more management
time to keep patched and secure so only those we knew would keep up with
it could use them (understanding that if they lapsed and something
happened their favorite browser would be gone for good).

The only area we really banged heads on after that was for IM. Many
employees had been using AIM. We killed it through global policy hash.
MANY insisted they needed it for day to day internal uses. To solve that
we set up our own internal IM server and cut it off at the firewall. AIM
is still banned and hashed because it can not be effectively controlled
at the firewall - AOL intentionally designed it to circumvent any
attempts to control it (one of the many reasons anything AOL related is
banned).

The whole approach has worked very well. Employees no longer ask for
things unless they have researched the need and the application first on
their own. They then trust that we will take a serious look at it and
their information. They also trust that if it ends up being denied there
will be a legitimate reason and we will offer a suggestion for an
alternative.

Best Regards,

Dan Bartley

-------------

I'm putting together a list of what seem to be the ten least secure
computer
items in use today with the idea of having a set of things to recommend
AGAINST people using, probably to be posted on the IT room door with a
note
like "NO, you cannot use the following!!".  Here is what I have so far,
I'm
looking for additions and comments.  The list is in order from with the
worst offender being number one.  These should be products whose
inheirent
design is flawed, not that are just difficult to secure.  I expect
vigorous
discussion. *putting on flame retardent garments*  Oh, and leave
Operating
systems out of this one.

1) Microsoft Outlook
2) Telnet
3) Sendmail
4) IIS Server
5) Wireless networking
6) PHP
7) ?
8) ?
9) ?
10) ?

Chris Berry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm