Exactly. We ended up having to just come up with better alternatives
for that particular group and then "excitedly" showing them the better
way. It worked after a couple of times. Now they actually come to us
first and ask what we would recommend. Someone mentioned "social
engineering", it's a big part of IT daily life if you want it to be less
stressed.

It helped that 2 disgruntled employees tried to steal proprietary info
when they left. Great example to management of why we need to pay
attention and how well it can work when we do. One is in jail and one
got 2 years probation. It's a felony in Pennsylvania to commit data or
trade secret theft. Tons of stories out there about companies being
damaged this way, makes great ammunition for convincing management of
the need to follow good security practices.

Went a long way to getting other employees to say, "I can really see why
your approach is important". Of course that will wear off in time as new
people come in and say, "But we could do anything we wanted at the last
place I worked". :-)

We may not always be able to prevent the misuse of "questionable"
applications or systems, but we can pay attention and have a plan to
respond quickly if something does happen. I can guarantee that if
something happens and my CTO finds out from someone else, the first
words out of his mouth to us will be, "How come you didn't know about
this?"

Best Regards,

Dan Bartley