Hi,

 I was using SSH to encrypt a VNC session.  For some reason, even though
I seem to encrypt the session it doesn't work.

 I do

$> ssh -2C -L 5801:vncserver:5801 localhost

this opens a port on my machine ( port 5801) to the vnc port on the
vncserver.  I try to connect to it via vncviewer

$> vncviewer localhost:1

That doesn't work.

Decided to do the same thing with the SMTP port on the same machine just
to test if it worked and it was encrypted.  I loaded up Ethereal,
started a capture, then sent an email via commandline SMTP commands.

when I looked at the session packets, they were all in plain-text?

So is this working or not?

I also noticed that connecting to the SMTP port sort of took a while to
initiate. Could VNCviewer be timing out before the session could be
made.

thanx,

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm