From: vincent [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 3:32 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux security

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 17:12:53 -0500
John Jairo Florez Torres <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Hi.
>
> I would thanks information about security in Linux:
>
> 1. Securing a linux server (specially Redhat). Installing and
administering
> a linux server in a secure form

 Redhat itself posts security documentation with every release. For
the most recent see the following link. (this is mostly in general)
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/security-guide/

 For a more indepth idea of security see an old but (mostly) still
applicable
book/paper called Securing & Optimizing linux
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3
/
Neither is a definitive guide to security, only a great place to start.

> 2. Why is linux more secure than windows

 This is debatable but in my opnion because if the machines job is just
to be a
squid server (for instance) why does it need IE, RPC, netbios, etc, etc.
all software is insecure to some degree so why not lessen the chances by
installing
less software?

> 3. Securying Squid
> Thanks a lot