On 18 March 2010 21:12, Christopher Hegarty -Sun Microsystems Ireland
<christopher.hega...@sun.com> wrote:
> Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>>
>> On 18 March 2010 20:56, Christopher Hegarty -Sun Microsystems Ireland
>> <christopher.hega...@sun.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Brad, Pavel, Andrew,
>>>
>>> I'm also not comfortable with this test, but what bothers me more than
>>> the
>>> reliance on an external server is the reliance on cacerts. While cacerts
>>> (or
>>> equivalent) is not part of OpenJDK I don't think it makes sense adding a
>>> test to OpenJDK that has a reliance on it.
>>>
>>> For now I think is makes more sense to add a test like this to wherever
>>> in
>>> the build process cacerts (or equivalent) is added.
>>>

>> The problem is nothing does in the OpenJDK build process.  So SSL is
>> always broken for OpenJDK builds.  Is this something we really want?
>
> This is certainly not ideal, but is a separate issue to the test, right? It
> seems Sean or someone in the security team should comment on the possibility
> of adding root CA's to OpenJDK, until then I don't see any requirement for a
> test.

My thoughts too.  We have a solution for GNU/Linux where cacerts is
populated from the crt files found on the system (installed by Mozilla
and the like).  I don't know what the equivalent would be for Windows
and Solaris though.  A quick look on my OpenSolaris box didn't find
any crt files but I only looked in installed packages.  I presume
firefox may bring some in if it's available.

--
Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8