I've noticed there's not much interest in improving Serialization on these
lists.  This makes me wonder if java Serialization has lost relevance in recent
years with the rise of protocol buffers apache thrift and other means of data
transfer over byte streams.

The burden of implementing Serializable can significantly hamper developers
efforts when refactoring, it's quite common for some projects to make no
guarantee regarding Serialization compatibility between releases.  Also
implementation of

Serializable can double project development hours, hamper future development
and increase software maintenance costs.

Serialization also presents opportunities for attackers and has been
responsible for a number of zero day exploits.

I don't know if isolates will be included with JDK 9 for Jigsaw, or whether
ClassLoaders alone will provide isolation for modules.

The ability to limit visibility and provide isolation of implementation classes
as well as providing limits on memory and threads for isolated modules would
also improve platform security.

Serialization may provide a means to hot upgrade modules, but more flexible
options that doesn't cause serial data lock in need to be developed.

Should Serializable eventually be deprecated?
Should Serialization be disabled by default?
Should a new mechanism be developed?
If a new mechanism is developed, what about circular object relationships?

Regards,

Peter.