Hello,

I am glad as a user that I am only annoyed by the limited policies and
that I do not have to actually implement features to restrict my
software. :)

However your mail reminded me: will it be a good idea to implement
something like a Fips-compliant runtime in terms of (yet another)
policy?

Related to that: are there any other useful uses for those jce policies?
(Never encounter them besides the restricted ciphers). For things like
enforcing minimum security (FIPS, PCI-DSS, ...) the policy objects
should not only feature maximum keysizes, but also minimum sizes,
right? Same is true for denying weakening attributes and such. On the
other hand this greatly conflicts with the security properties already
existing (at least for JSSE).

You mail did not talk about signatures, will the new policies require
to be signed by a JCE certifiate (i.e. via Oracle) or can they be
customized without?

Will there be an option "use strongest available"? That way an JDK
upgrade (overwrite the files) will no longer be a problem as the
additional policy persists - but I still would need the system property
to activate it...

Gruss
Bernd