On 5/12/20 5:43 PM, Xuelei Fan wrote:
Updated webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~xuelei/8206925/webrev.01/

On 5/12/2020 12:40 PM, Sean Mullan wrote:
On 5/5/20 2:29 PM, Xuelei Fan wrote:
Hi,

Could I get the following update reviewed?

RFE: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8206925
CSR: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8244441

We have previously used the syntax "enable[Extension]" when naming system properties that enable optional extensions. Thus, it seems this name would be more consistent: "jdk.tls.client.enableCertificateAuthoritiesExtension"

However, it is a bit long, so maybe we could abbreviate it to CA: "jdk.tls.client.enableCAExtension"

"enableCAExtension" looks fine, but it is not as instinctive as "indicateCertificateAuthorities".

I think naming consistency is important.

We used to use "enableXXExtension" because normally there is only one behavior for the extension.  However, for the Certificate Authorities extension, it could be requested by server side to indicate client cert selection, or by client side to indicate server cert selection.  It is not straightforward to know if "enableCAExtension" means accepting server request, or produce client request.

But doesn't "jdk.tls.client" mean enable the extension on the client side?

I am not following why the word "indicate" helps better distinguish between setting the extension on the client or server side.

It is not expected to use this extension regularly.

Please let me know if you still prefer to use "enableCAExtension".

Also, it is a bit unfortunate that we have to have a system property to enable it. Can we not enable it based on whether the configured X509TrustManager.getAcceptedIssuers returns a non-empty list?

We can do that on server side, but there are compatibility impact on client behavior if we did it in client side.  See #2 in the "Specification" section.

But doesn't the default JDK PKIX TrustManager throw a fatal exception and close the connection if the server's certificate cannot be validated? Could we check if the PKIX TrustManager is being used?

If a client wants to accept self-signed or untrusted server certificates, I would have expected them to have to use a custom X509TrustManager that allows that, and that getAcceptedIssuers() should return an empty List. Is that not is what is typically done in practice?

--Sean