On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 18:28:03 GMT, Valerie Peng <valer...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>>> I can do the Signature update through
>>> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8253176 which I have targeted to
>>> fix in 19 also.
>>
>> Ok.
>
> I have filed the PR for the Signature at:
> https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/8396
> Best to get it done along with this one.

> As for the 2nd sentence, it boils down whether we requires provider to
> generate default parameters and return it when parameter is required.
> Existing javadoc states that null is returned when parameter is not required.
> Given Cipher covers many algorithms, if a provider does not want to generate
> a default parameter when parameter is required, it can't return null when
> getParameters() is called.

Ok, maybe we need to reset the context. What was the main issue with the
current specification that you were trying to fix? I read the associated bug
report. It sounds like there were two issues:

- ProviderException can be thrown, but the method does not declare it in the
throws clause. That doesn't seem to be addressed here - do you think it should
be?
- cases when null may be returned as opposed to throwing a ProviderException

It could be that what is really just needed is an @throws ProviderException, ex:

"If this cipher implementation requires algorithm parameters to be passed in at
initialization but was not initialized with any".

and a slight tweak to the description (changes in italics):

"... if this cipher _can generate required_ algorithm parameters but was not
initialized with any."