On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 15:21:40 GMT, Weijun Wang <wei...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Naoto has confirmed that the password prompt from keytool does not echo,
>> good!
>>
>> The intention is that Console be usable in jshell so I think the issue is
>> that readPassword is echo'ing when used in jshell. Maybe someone
>> experimenting with the Console API might run into this but we can separate
>> out that issue.
>
> Still not sure what the expected behavior is, but for keytool, because of the
> updated check, `sun.security.util.Password` now uses `System.in.read` instead
> of `Console.readPassword`, therefore the password is echoing. I tried
> removing the check and force `Console.readPassword` to be called. There is no
> echo but the return key also does not work. I have to Ctrl-C to break out.

I thought that in `jshell`, `System.console()` returns null, so it is always
not using `Console.readPassword`. Anyway, I think the scenario is not practical
(changing password using jshell), and in the future, jshell can provide its own
Console implementation (that's a part of this enhancement's motivation) that
would nicely handle this situation.

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/11421