On Sat, 27 May 2023 06:24:36 GMT, Martin Balao <mba...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> We would like to propose an implementation for the [JDK-8301553: Support
>> Password-Based Cryptography in
>> SunPKCS11](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8301553) enhancement
>> requirement.
>>
>> In addition to pursuing the requirement goals and guidelines of
>> [JDK-8301553](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8301553), we want to share
>> the following implementation notes (grouped per altered file):
>>
>>   *
>> ```src/java.base/share/classes/com/sun/crypto/provider/HmacPKCS12PBECore.java```
>>  (modified)
>>     * This file contains the ```SunJCE``` implementation for the [PKCS #12
>> General Method for Password
>> Integrity](https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7292#appendix-B)
>> algorithms. It has been modified with the intent of consolidating all
>> parameter checks in a common file
>> (```src/java.base/share/classes/sun/security/util/PBEUtil.java```), that can
>> be used both by ```SunJCE``` and ```SunPKCS11```. This change does not only
>> serve the purpose of avoiding duplicated code but also ensuring alignment
>> and compatibility between different implementations of the same algorithms.
>> No changes have been made to parameter checks themselves.
>>     * The new ```PBEUtil::getPBAKeySpec``` method introduced for parameters
>> checking takes both a ```Key``` and a ```AlgorithmParameterSpec``` instance
>> (same as the ```HmacPKCS12PBECore::engineInit``` method), and returns a
>> ```PBEKeySpec``` instance which consolidates all the data later required to
>> proceed with the computation (password, salt and iteration count).
>>
>>   * ```src/java.base/share/classes/com/sun/crypto/provider/PBES2Core.java```
>> (modified)
>>     * This file contains the ```SunJCE``` implementation for the [PKCS #5
>> Password-Based Encryption
>> Scheme](https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8018#section-6.2)
>> algorithms, which use PBKD2 algorithms underneath for key derivation. In the
>> same spirit than for the ```HmacPKCS12PBECore``` case, we decided to
>> consolidate common code for parameters validation and default values in a
>> single file
>> (```src/java.base/share/classes/sun/security/util/PBEUtil.java```), that can
>> serve both ```SunJCE``` and ```SunPKCS11``` and ensure compatibility.
>> However, instead of a single static method at the implementation level (see
>> ```PBEUtil::getPBAKeySpec```), we create an instance of an auxiliary class
>> and invoke an instance method (```PBEUtil.PBES2Params::getPBEKeySpec```).
>> The reason is to persist parameters data that has to be consistent between
>> calls to ```PBES2Core::engineInit``` (in its multiple ...
>
> Martin Balao has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   8301553: Support Password-Based Cryptography in SunPKCS11 (iteration #4)
>
>   Co-authored-by: Francisco Ferrari <fferr...@redhat.com>
>   Co-authored-by: Martin Balao <mba...@redhat.com>

src/java.base/share/classes/sun/security/util/PBEUtil.java line 105:

> 103:                                 "needed for decryption");
> 104:                     }
> 105:                 }

Isn't there also default value for iteration count? 'params' can be
PBEParameterSpec (line 82) but its salt and iteration count values aren't used
comparing to the IvParameterSpec inside. Seems a bit inconsistent?

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/12396#discussion_r1210867785