On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 14:30:33 GMT, Xue-Lei Andrew Fan <xue...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> I see what you're saying with respect to SSLEngineImpl. It looks like all of
>> the public methods are synchronized with `engineLock` so I shouldn't have
>> made any changes there. I will revert them.
>>
>> Are you ok with the changes in SSLSocketImpl?
>
> I may update both SSLSocketImpl and SSLEngineImpl, as SSLSocketImpl uses the
> locks similar to SSLEngineImpl.

There is a difference, though. The close() method in SSLSocketImpl is not
synchronized and there is the chance of a NullPointerException in
duplexCloseOutput() because `conContext.handshakeContext` is being set to null
by the TransportContext class in a different thread. I think that can affect
any method in SSLSocketImpl that accesses that field.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13742#discussion_r1232350669