> The implementation of this proposal is based on the requirements,
> specification and design choices described in the [JDK-8319332] ticket and
> its respective CSR [JDK-8319333]. What follows are implementation notes
> organized per functional component, with the purpose of assisting to navigate
> the code changes in this pull-request.
>
> ## Security properties loading (overview)
>
> A new static class named `SecPropLoader` (nested within
> `java.security.Security`) is introduced to handle the loading of all security
> properties. Its method `loadAll` is the first one to be called, at
> `java.security.Security` static class initialization. The master security
> properties file is then loaded by `loadMaster`. When additional security
> properties files are allowed (the security property
> `security.overridePropertiesFile` is set to `true`) and the
> `java.security.properties` system property is passed, the method `loadExtra`
> handles the extra load.
>
> The master properties file is loaded in `OVERRIDE` mode, meaning that the map
> of properties is originally empty. Any failure occurred while loading these
> properties is considered fatal. The extra properties file
> (`java.security.properties`) may be loaded in `OVERRIDE` or `APPEND` mode.
> Any failure in this case is ignored. This behavior maintains compatibility
> with the previous implementation.
>
> While the `java.security.properties` system property is documented to accept
> an URL type of value, filesystem path values are supported in the same way
> that they were prior to this enhancement. Values are then interpreted as
> paths and, only if that fails, are considered URLs. In the latter case, there
> is one more attempt after opening the stream to check if there is a local
> file path underneath (e.g. the URL has the form of
> `file:///path/to/a/local/file`). The reason for preferring paths over URLs is
> to support relative path file inclusion in properties files.

> When loading a properties file from a path, the normalized file location is
> stored in the static field `currentPath`. This value is the current base to
> resolve any relative path encountered while handling an _include_ definition.
> Normalized paths are also saved in the `activePaths` set to detect recursive
> cycles. As we move down or up in the _includes_ stack, `currentPath` and
> `activePaths` values are updated.

> The extra properties file can be loaded from a URL. ...

Francisco Ferrari Bihurriet has updated the pull request with a new target base
due to a merge or a rebase. The pull request now contains 13 commits:

 - Extend backward compatibility support

   Co-authored-by: Francisco Ferrari <fferr...@redhat.com>
   Co-authored-by: Martin Balao <mba...@redhat.com>
 - Merge 'openjdk/master' into JDK-8319332
 - Merge 'openjdk/master' into JDK-8319332
 - Merge 'openjdk/master' into JDK-8319332

   Conflict in ConfigFileTest.java solved by keeping our file, which had
   been previously adjusted.

   Commands:
     git merge upstream/master
     git restore --ours -- test/jdk/java/security/Security/ConfigFileTest.java
     git add test/jdk/java/security/Security/ConfigFileTest.java
     git merge --continue
 - 8319332: Adjust code for JDK-8319673 changes

   JDK-8319673: Few security tests ignore VM flags

   Next, we will merge the openjdk/master branch and ignore the conflict in
   this file.

   Co-authored-by: Martin Balao <mba...@redhat.com>
   Co-authored-by: Francisco Ferrari Bihurriet <fferr...@redhat.com>
 - 8319332: Update copyright and ConfigFileTest.java.

   Bump copyright year to 2024 in all the modified files.

   Remove leaked host name from children JVMs debug command.

   Extract Executor::addSystemPropertiesAsJvmArgs from Executor::execute
   and rename 'allJvmArgs' to 'command'. Also split class name and
   RUNNER_ARG addition to 'command' as two separated command.add() calls.

   Co-authored-by: Martin Balao <mba...@redhat.com>
   Co-authored-by: Francisco Ferrari Bihurriet <fferr...@redhat.com>
 - Merge 'openjdk/master' into JDK-8319332
 - 8319332: Fix corner-case regression with bash pipe

   Extra properties files provided through bash pipes used to work before
   this enhancement, restore their behaviour.

   Also take advantage to use Files::isRegularFile, Files::isDirectory and
   Files::exists APIs instead of converting from Path to File.

   Linux reproducers (sub-shell, stdin, and combination of both):

   java -XshowSettings:security:properties                      \
        -Djava.security.properties==<(echo name=value)          \
        -Djava.security.debug=properties -version

   echo name=value | java -XshowSettings:security:properties    \
        -Djava.security.properties==/dev/stdin                  \
        -Djava.security.debug=properties -version

   echo name=value | java -XshowSettings:security:properties    \
        -Djava.security.properties==<(echo include /dev/stdin)  \
        -Djava.security.debug=properties -version

   Co-authored-by: Martin Balao <mba...@redhat.com>
   Co-authored-by: Francisco Ferrari Bihurriet <fferr...@redhat.com>
 - 8319332: Remove wildcard imports, adjust test case

   Test case adjustments: add missing check in PropsFile::assertApplied(),
   and fix typo in FilesManager::handleRequest() method name.

   Also, add clarifying comments to Executor::assertSuccess() explaining
   how we use the special properties to make the assertion. Make 'lastFile'
   assignation latter, so it's separated from the first group of asserts.

   Co-authored-by: Martin Balao <mba...@redhat.com>
   Co-authored-by: Francisco Ferrari Bihurriet <fferr...@redhat.com>
 - 8319332: use Path::of(URI) to deal with file URLs

   Instead of the previously introduced FileURLConnection::getFile(), use
   Path::of(URI), leaving some file URL corner-cases without relative
   imports support.

   Further details in
https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/16483#discussion_r1382111155

   Co-authored-by: Martin Balao <mba...@redhat.com>
   Co-authored-by: Francisco Ferrari Bihurriet <fferr...@redhat.com>
 - ... and 3 more: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/compare/0b9350e8...454f6810

Changes: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16483/files
  Webrev: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=16483&range=07
  Stats: 1237 lines in 6 files changed: 1007 ins; 167 del; 63 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.org/jdk.git pull/16483/head:pull/16483

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16483