On Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:19:55 GMT, Francisco Ferrari Bihurriet
<fferr...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> The implementation of this proposal is based on the requirements,
>> specification and design choices described in the [JDK-8319332] ticket and
>> its respective CSR [JDK-8319333]. What follows are implementation notes
>> organized per functional component, with the purpose of assisting to
>> navigate the code changes in this pull-request.
>>
>> ## Security properties loading (overview)
>>
>> A new static class named `SecPropLoader` (nested within
>> `java.security.Security`) is introduced to handle the loading of all
>> security properties. Its method `loadAll` is the first one to be called, at
>> `java.security.Security` static class initialization. The master security
>> properties file is then loaded by `loadMaster`. When additional security
>> properties files are allowed (the security property
>> `security.overridePropertiesFile` is set to `true`) and the
>> `java.security.properties` system property is passed, the method `loadExtra`
>> handles the extra load.
>>
>> The master properties file is loaded in `OVERRIDE` mode, meaning that the
>> map of properties is originally empty. Any failure occurred while loading
>> these properties is considered fatal. The extra properties file
>> (`java.security.properties`) may be loaded in `OVERRIDE` or `APPEND` mode.
>> Any failure in this case is ignored. This behavior maintains compatibility
>> with the previous implementation.
>>
>> While the `java.security.properties` system property is documented to accept
>> an URL type of value, filesystem path values are supported in the same way
>> that they were prior to this enhancement. Values are then interpreted as
>> paths and, only if that fails, are considered URLs. In the latter case,
>> there is one more attempt after opening the stream to check if there is a
>> local file path underneath (e.g. the URL has the form of
>> `file:///path/to/a/local/file`). The reason for preferring paths over URLs
>> is to support relative path file inclusion in properties files.

>> When loading a properties file from a path, the normalized file location is
>> stored in the static field `currentPath`. This value is the current base to
>> resolve any relative path encountered while handling an _include_
>> definition. Normalized paths are also saved in the `activePaths` set to
>> detect recursive cycles. As we move down or up in the _includes_ stack,
>> `currentPath` and `activePaths` values are updated.

>> The extra properti...
>
> Francisco Ferrari Bihurriet has updated the pull request incrementally with
> one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Improve backward compatibility testing
>
>   Co-authored-by: Francisco Ferrari <fferr...@redhat.com>
>   Co-authored-by: Martin Balao <mba...@redhat.com>

Just one more question on the system property expansion when it's not defined.
In your example:

> include ${java.home}/conf/security/profile${SecurityProfile}.security

How bad will it be if we require user to set `SecurityProfile` to `default` or
an empty string if they don't need any specific profile? I'm a little concerned
that user would mistype the system property name on the command line.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16483#issuecomment-2088611286