On Wed, 29 May 2024 18:53:55 GMT, Anthony Scarpino <ascarp...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> This change is to improve TLS 1.3 session resumption by allowing a TLS server
> to send more than one resumption ticket per connection and clients to store
> more.  Resumption is a quick way to use an existing TLS session to establish
> another session by avoiding the long TLS full handshake process.  In TLS 1.2
> and below, clients can repeatedly resume a session by using the session ID
> from an established connection.  In TLS 1.3, a one-time "resumption ticket"
> is sent by the server after the TLS connection has been established.  The
> server may send multiple resumption tickets to help clients that rapidly
> resume connections.  If the client does not have another resumption ticket,
> it must go through the full TLS handshake again.  The current implementation
> in JDK 23 and below, only sends and store one resumption ticket.
>
> The number of resumption tickets a server can send should be configurable by
> the application developer or administrator. [RFC
> 8446](https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8446) does not specify a default
> value.  A system property called `jdk.tls.server.newSessionTicketCount`
> allows the user to change the number of resumption tickets sent by the
> server.  If this property is not set or given an invalid value, the default
> value of 3 is used. Further details are in the CSR.
>
> A large portion of the changeset is on the client side by changing the
> caching system used by TLS.  It creates a new `CacheEntry<>` type called
> `QueueCacheEntry<>` that will store multiple values for a Map entry.

src/java.base/share/classes/sun/security/ssl/SSLConfiguration.java line 127:

> 125:     static final int serverNewSessionTicketCount;
> 126:     // Default for NST
> 127:     static final int SERVER_NST_DEFAULT = 3;

I suggest you make the default 1 or 2 rather than 3.  NSTs can get pretty large
and we may want to preserve bandwidth a bit, especially for servers at scale.
I think for many applications the default we're currently doing of 1 NST per
connection might be enough, and the property allows folks to ratchet up the
number of NSTs to fit their needs.  But defaulting to 2 is probably fine also.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19465#discussion_r1639095203