> Hi,
>
> I'd like to make a proposal to fix
> [JDK-8336499](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8336499).
>
> With the proposed change, a non-sensitive RSA private key is first
> interpreted as a CRT key. If that fails (e.g. one of the attributes is not
> available), a second attempt is made to interpret the key as a non-CRT key.
> In this second attempt, only the required attributes (`CKA_MODULUS` and
> `CKA_PRIVATE_EXPONENT`) are queried. If this still fails, the key is handled
> as an opaque key. Most non-sensitive key cases will require a single query,
> retaining the performance improvement made in
> [8271566](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8271566). No changes were made
> to sensitive keys: they are still handled as opaque keys.
>
> No regressions observed in `jdk/sun/security/pkcs11`.
>
> As explained in a [JBS
> comment](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8336499?focusedId=14690278&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14690278),
>  a regression test for this fix is not easy because the NSS Software Token
> cannot create non-CRT RSA private keys without a `CKA_PUBLIC_EXPONENT` (as
> required by the PKCS 11 standard v2.40 and above). A call to
> `P11RSAKeyFactory::generatePrivate` would fail and the key is never wrapped
> in a `P11Key` object. A PKCS 11 library implementing a standard previous to
> 2.40 would be required. With that said, I manually exercised the `asNonCRT`
> path in the proposed change by using a CRT key and forcing `asCRT` to fail
> with the debugger.
>
> Thanks,
> Martin.-

Martin Balao has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
commit since the last revision:

  Refactoring and simplification. Session for operations is not needed.

  Co-authored-by: Martin Balao <mba...@redhat.com>
  Co-authored-by: Francisco Ferrari Bihurriet <fferr...@redhat.com>

Changes:
  - all: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/20204/files