I've been searching for hours with little to show for it so I hope you
 can help us. We are a volunteer animal welfare group in the process of
 writing a grant to fund community activities.

 One of the projects would be to provide petfood and veterinary care
 subsidies for companion animals for the elderly. This would ease the
 loneliness of low-income seniors and give homeless shelter animals a
 second chance. I saw a short announcement recently of a similar program

 in Great Britain but can't remember where it was.

 Can you help me find supporting documentation regarding the benefits to

 the elderly and the success of such a program?

 TIA ...very much.