At 01:43 PM 9/11/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I read in an article years ago that while Napoleon was exiled on St.
>Helena, he was given a chess set. He played with that set frequently
>during the last years of his life unaware that within the base of the
>chess pieces were scraps of paper, which when assembled, would show him a
>map of the island.
>
>  Had he ever assembled the map, he could probably have escaped. Do you
> know how I could find out more about this story? I am writing a magazine
> article and I need to verify my facts.
>
>Ken Nail, Jr. for Sam Whatley

Ken:
For what they're worth, please relay my comments to Mr Whatley:
The story about that map being crucial to Napoleon's escape
does not sound plausible.
The island of St. Helena is only 6 miles X 10 miles. Possession of
a map of such a small area (under constant observation by soldiers
and the civilian population) would not likely have been of much
advantage to anyone wishing to escape.
However, the following information may be interest to Mr Whitley:
http://www.st-helena-island.net/

Best Wishes - Sidney Allinson,
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.