On 11 Sep 2000, 13:43, Ken Nail, Jr. wrote:

> I read in an article years ago that while Napoleon was exiled on St.
> Helena, he was given a chess set. He played with that set frequently
> during the last years of his life unaware that within the base of the
> chess pieces were scraps of paper, which when assembled, would show him
> a map of the island.
>
>  Had he ever assembled the map, he could probably have escaped. Do you
>  know how I could find out more about this story? I am writing a
>  magazine article and I need to verify my facts.
>
>  Thanks for your time and consideration.

I spent some time searching and nothing definitive manifested.  I think
perhaps books might be your best course of research.

http://www.joslinhall.com/france3.htm

That site lists a used book that might provide you the answer:

Masson, Frederic. Napoleon at St. Helena, 1815-1821. New York; Medill
McBride Company:1950.  A famous indictment of British treatment of
Napoleon at his St. Helena exile/prison.

6"x9", 283 pages, 7 b&w illustrations, dj; fine in a lightly worn dj.
[29192] $35.00

I found the book listed at several of the Bibliofind sources:

http://www.bibliofind.com/

Alan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]