On 4 Nov 2000, at 16:42, Harry Jones wrote:
> I have looked all over and can't find this, hope somebody can help.
> James Beard wrote a book that had plans for building a bbq pit.
> Looking for the name of the book, or better yet, the plans online.

Hi Harry:
James Beard apparently wrote _a_lot_of_books_... some of which are
out of print. See the collection of James Beard books at Amazon here
***you can read a summary of those books that are still in print***
(following is a long URL to paste in your browser - no spaces):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-
author=Beard%2C%20James/103-4661660-7842224

I am guessing that the book you see might be "The Great Cook's Guide
to Clay Cookery: America's Leading Food Authorities Share Their Home-
Tested Recipes and Expertise on Cooking Equipment and Te..." which is
out of print.  However, you can still try to order that book at
Amazon if that is the book you are looking for... (another long URL -
no spaces).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0394734203/qid=973382813/sr=1-
41/103-4661660-7842224

The complete James Beard's Barbecue Cookbook is available online
here:

http://www.epicurious.com/e_eating/e05_beard/cookbooks/bbq/toc.html

Here are some other barbecue sites with tips on building a barbecue
pit if you are interested in some other views bbq pits...

http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/default.asp

Wide World of Pits:

http://www.ipass.net/~lineback/bbq/pits.htm

Regards,