Yes, the two terms are interchangeable. the cd-writer writes the information
to a blank disk by the use of a laser which alters the optical properties of
the dye that allows the laser light to reflect back to the read head of the
writer. This is also called burning. Almost every dirve I see any more that
writes also rewrites if you use rewritable media. If you are looking for a
writer, it would be helpful to have some more information about the system
you intend to install the drive in and what type of disks you would be
trying to create. Cd-rw drives come in 2 basic interfaces, scsi and ide. Ide
is the cheaper alternative and if your intention is to create data disks,
then it will be fine to go with ide, unless the cd-rw drive will be the 4th
ide duive and you don't have a separate ide controller. If you intend to do
direct copies from your cd-rom to your cd-rw. it would require the 2 drives
to be on separate ide channel with most software. You could have a system
that had a hard drive and cd-rom on 1 channel and a 2nd hard drive and the
cd-rw drive on the 2nd channel, but your system performance would suffer as
the os would mst likely force the ide controller into compatibility mode on
both channels to accomodate the lower speed cd drives compared to the hard
drives. The cd-rom and the cd-rw would have to be on opposite channels to be
used at the same time, for dick to disk copy. Scsi drives don't really care
about this anymore, it used to be a problem, but I don't think it is
anymore. Scsi is more expensive, but it may be your best bet. If you are out
of ide channels, scsi can be added. You might be able to add another ide
controller, but scsi will have more expansion options, and if you already
hacve a scsi controller for a scanner or hard drive, you wouldn't use any
more resources for i/o and irqs. As afr as the brand, I don't see much
difference between ide drives, for scsi, thePlextor drives, while expensive
are rugged, fast and Plextor support is excellent and fast. Plus, if you are
looking for the most dependable disk to disk copies a Plextor cd-rom and
cd-rw can be directly linked and have the best chance for a good high speed
copy. If you are really looking to make a lot of copies, a stand alone cd
duyplicator would be your best bet as they can makw multiple copies at once.